The People Working with Ionic Liquids
Prof. Dr. Klaus Kümmerer is trained as environmental and analytical chemist. He works since 1994 in the area of environmental compatibility of organic chemicals. Since several years he works with quaternary ammonium compounds.
Fields of expertise:
• Analysis of organic compounds in environmental matrices
• Fate of organic chemicals in the environment (biodegradation, photo degradation) and effects against
• Green and sustainable chemistry
• benign design of chemicals
• Quantitative Structure Activity Relationships ((Q)SARs) and other in silico methods fort he assessment of properties of
• Environmental risk assessment of organic chemicals
Prof. Kümmerer is chairing the working group „Sustainable Products“ within the division of Sustainable Chemistry of the German Chemical Society..
Literature (selected publications)
H. Sütterlin, R. Alexy, A. Coker, K. Kümmerer: Mixtures of Quaternary Ammonium Compounds and Anionic Organic Compounds in the Aquatic Environment: Elimination and Biodegradability in the Closed Bottle Test monitored by LC-MS/MS. Chemosphere 72, 479–484, 2008
H. Sütterlin, R. Alexy, K. Kümmerer: The toxicity of the quaternary ammonium compound benzalkonium chloride alone and in mixtures with other anionic compounds to bacteria in test systems with Vibrio fischeri and Pseudomonas putida. Ecotox. Environ. Safe. 71, 498-505, 2008.
K. Kümmerer: Sustainable From the Very Beginning: Rational Design of Molecules by Life Cycle Engineering as an Important Approach for Green Pharmacy and Green Chemistry. Green Chem. 9, 899-907, 2007