The Department of Medical Biometry and Statistics conducts and supports methodical and applied biomedical research. It contributes to the teaching at the University and offers advanced and continuing education courses.
The department emerged in 1986 as successor of the Institute for Medical Statistics and Documentation, which was originally founded in 1963 (see History). It has since been headed by Prof. Dr. Martin Schumacher. It has currently more than 50 full and part time employees.
The department is divided into the following divisions:
- The division Biometry and Statistics is concerned with the development and application of statistical methods for all areas of basic and patient-oriented medical research. It is partially integrated into the Freiburg Center for Data Analysis and Modeling (FDM).
- The working group Medical Informatics is concerned with the systematic processing of medically relevant data, information and knowledge using the formal methods and principles of computer science.
- The division Clinical Epidemiology investigates how to optimize the interaction between statistical-empirical methods and medical research. It does this by supporting specific medical research projects as well as by conducting method-oriented research.
- We offer statistical consultation for the planning, conduct, analysis and interpretation research projects at the University Hospital.
- The German Cochrane Centre is the official representation of The Cochrane Collaboration in Germany. Following the guidelines of evidence-based medicine, the Centre publishes and disseminates systematic reviews of healthcare interventions.
- The German Clinical Trials Register (DRKS) is an open access online register for clinical trials conducted in Germany, which is freely and publicly available.
- The staff function quality management is assigned to the management of the department and consists of staff members from all divisions described above.
- The division central services comprises the institute’s administration, library and IT.
- The division Biometry and Data Management of the Clinical Trials Unit is managed by the department in cooperation with the Clinical Trials Unit at the University Medical Center Freiburg. The latter is concerned with the design, conduct and analysis of clinical trials.