Physics at the LHC (Term Paper)
Term Paper: Physics at the LHC
Course administrated by:
- Prof. Dr. Fernando Febres Cordero: ffebres[noSpam]physik.uni-freiburg.de
- Prof. Dr. Markus Schumacher: markus.schumacher[noSpam]physik.uni-freiburg.de
- Dr. Christian Weiser: Christian.Weiser[noSpam]cern.ch
Students have to register at the common presentation of all term papers taking place on
19.04.2016, at 17:00 c.t. in HS I.
First Meeting with assignment of topics:
Monday, 25 April, 16:00 (s.t.), Seminar room Westbau, 2nd floor
- Thursday, 8:45 - 10:15, starting 2nd of june
- Some seminar talks will be scheduled for the week of 25th of july (first lecture-free week)
- The seminars will take place in Seminar Room III in the physics highrise
List of topics:
- Phenomenology of proton-proton collisions at the LHC
- Experimental Setup: LHC, ATLAS, CMS
- Introduction to the Standard Model, the Brout-Englert-Higgs mechanism and phenomenology at the LHC:
a) General introduction and QCD
b) The electroweak sector and the Brout-Englert-Higgs mechanism
- Tests of the electroweak theory in multi-boson production processes (including vector boson scattering)
- Decays of the Higgs boson: ZZ, γγ, WW, ττ, bb
- Higgs boson properties:
a) mass, width, CP properties
- Higgs boson differential distributions and interpretation in Effective Field Theories (EFT)
- Introduction to Supersymmetry (SUSY) and searches in inclusive final states
- Search for SUSY in exclusive final states
- Search for physics beyond the Standard Model in Exotic models (including γγ resonances)
Assignment of topics:
The assignment of topics, supervisors and dates can be found here.
Some slight adjustments might still be needed!
Please get in touch with the supervisor of your talk for literature etc.
The presentations can be found
The seminar talks should have a length of about 45 minutes. The presentation will be followed by questions and discussion.
In addition, a written report has to be provided ( ~ 20 pages).