ROOT and PYTHIA6 Installation
Installation of ROOT with the Event Generator PYTHIA6
1. Pythia installation
- You will only need a fortran compiler (g77) to install pythia.
- Download the following file from here: pythia6.tar.gz
- create a directory called Pythia and copy the file into this directory
- type: 'gunzip pythia6.tar.gz'
- type: 'tar -xf pythia6.tar'
- this creates a subdirectory called 'pythia6'
type: 'cd pythia6'
- we need to store this directory into an environment variable. type: 'export PYTHIA6=$PWD'
- now we compile pythia.
- You should have a file called: libPythia6.so produced in this directory.
2. ROOT installation
- Please use the same shell as above
- Download the root code (as a .tar.gz file) from this link: ROOTv5.25.02 tar ball
- create a directory where you like to install root.
- copy the file root_v5.24.02.source.tar.gz into this directory
- type: gunzip root_v5.25.02.source.tar.gz
- type: tar -xf root_v5.25.02.source.tar
- go into the newly created directory 'root'
type: export ROOTSYS=$PWD
- type: ./configure linux --enable-pythia6 --with-pythia6-libdir=$PYTHIA6
- type: make
Run Pythia in ROOT
- type: export PATH=$PATH:$ROOTSYS/bin
- type: root
- ROOT MUST START AS VERSION 5.25
- You need to set the environment variables via 'export PATH=' and 'export ROOTSYS=' every time you start a new shell, it's easier if you just write it e.g. in your .bashrc (that is a file which starts everytime you open a bash shell)
- An example macro for ROOT can be found at here